Review policy

Due to time pressures, I am unable to commit to reviewing books at the moment. However, please feel free to recommend or discuss by tweeting @MsTick68 or commenting on here. Thank you!

Thursday 26 January 2012

An Illustrated Year 1: On The Way Home by Jill Murphy


This year I have decided to take part in the Illustrated Year challenge hosted by An Abundance of Books.    I hope to review a picture book every month. My first review is of Jill Murphy's On The Way Home. 

Image: borders.com.au

Claire hurts her knee in the park, and goes home to tell her mum. On the way she meets different friends, and her stories of how it happened. Was she injured escaping from a wolf, snake, gorilla, dragon, space ship or witch? When she finally gets home, she tells her mum the whole story, is comforted and gets a plaster on her knee.

This is a lovely book, with a subtext of the power of imagination and story to comfort and support us in difficult times. I adore Jill Murphy's illustrations, and this is firmly set in an urban environment, with a canal, tower blocks, corner shops and garages. It could be Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff or London, but I think that any children reading it could imagine themselves bravely escaping from the story book baddies. The pages are divided almost into comic strips; it would be delightful to read to children and I expect that they would pour over the pictures themselves. I can't wait to share it with my 4 year old nephew, and hear his own stories of bravely escaping from baddies!

3 comments:



  1. This Is Really Useful And Nice Information. ตารางบอลคืนนี้
    This are such great articles. ตารางบอลคืนนี้ This articles can help you to make some new ideas.
    ตารางบอลคืนนี้ I appreciate for reading my blogs.

    ReplyDelete

  2. This are new articles style for you. ตารางบอลคืนนี้ You can find some new idea on this. ตารางบอลคืนนี้ It might help you to write or think some new idea.
    ตารางบอลคืนนี้ Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.
    ตารางบอลคืนนี้ I am very glad for reading my articles.

    ReplyDelete